Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cotto - Margarito II

Just saw the fight and what a fight it was! The fight was eerily similar to the first fight with Cotto winning the earlier rounds, rounds 1 to 5, and Margarito starting to win later rounds, although this time, Margarito, at least in my score card, won only rounds 5 and 7. There were more lateral movements for Cotto, unlike in the first fight where he fought toe-to-toe against the more powerful Margarito (or was it something in the hand wrap?). Plaster or no plaster, I believe Margarito punches a bit heavier than Cotto. Cotto's advantage were his lateral movement, combinations and hand speed. Margarito had trouble with the hit-and-run tactic of Cotto. Also, Cotto, I think has better conditioning and stamina this time.

So Cotto won with the doctor stopping the fight and finally avenged his brutal loss against Margarito. I would love to see him fight Saul Alvarez, Victor Ortiz or Sergio Martinez. All of them. Mayweather? It would be intriguing but it won't be the slam bang fight that most boxing fans like to watch. Juan Manuel Marquez at 147? Too risky for him because a loss to Marquez would diminish his reputation and marketability but it is another intriguing and action-packed fight. Bob Arum had enough of JMM, for the moment, I think, as JMM nearly shred Pacman's cloak of invincibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment